Thursday, January 3, 2008

Elizabeth Declares John in Second Place

John Edwards gave a most awesome speech after the Iowa results. Ballsy Elizabeth Edwards declared second place for John, and it seems that her prognostication is coming to fruition.

As I listened to Edwards speaking, I realized that he is positioning himself for VP, and I think there might be some deal-brokering, phone calls, and horse trading between Edwards and Obama coming soon. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Hillary speaking, and she just seems so lackluster. In fact, she keeps jacking Edwards and Obama phrases and passing them off as her own with a very flat delivery. To make matters worse, she's framed on the right by Madeleine Albright and by Bill on the left. It's one of the ugliest sights ever to grace my television. This woman just has no charisma. To make matters worse, I'm reading this book, and it's really not improving my vision of Hillary. Neither is the mullet she appears to be sporting currently.

6 comments:

D said...

I know that many people who use/read this blog support Edwards as their first choice, especially since his viability in a national election is so high. Unfortunately, he's going to be the second choice vp for Obama and for Clinton. Obama's first choice is Wes Clark. If Obama gets him on that ticket, the election is his. Clinton's first choice is Bill Richardson. Edward's is working on a deal for a high cabinet post in an Obama administration. He'll start attacking Hilary for Obama after South Carolina.

CyFlorist said...

Though Mom and I did our part for John tonight, I'd just like to point out an interesting fact.

The number of people attending our 3 township caucus tonight? Was up140 people from 2004. This is in a country of about 30,000.

And the Obama crowd was overwhelmingly the under 25's.

Rani of Kuch Nahi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rani of Kuch Nahi said...

Lando--Where did you see this? I read that Clark endorsed Hillary. I don't like him. Richardson for me is a big bunch of blah.

Cy--It looked like the turnout was ginormous!

Rani of Kuch Nahi said...

I am merely speculating. I think Clark has to be Obama's first choice as VP if he wants to cement his place with the independents in a national election. I assume that most indies are against the war but maybe not so much for radical changes to domestic policy, especially regarding social issues. Clark serves as the military point man and can give some confidence to a public disillusioned by a terrible war. I think Edwards would be a great vp candidate but 1) Does he accept the #2 spot again? and 2) Can Obama or Hilary benefit from him? The answer to one seems to be yes, at this point. 4 years in the Executive Office would serve John well for the next election. The answer to two seems to be no, for two reasons. One he won't siphon any evangelical southern voters away from Huckabee. They are the republican base through and through. And two, a democratic senator has not been elected president since 1960. I can't see the party big wigs approving two senators on one presidential ticket no matter who wins the nomination. That's why, realistically, if Edwards' does not win the nomination he gets a high cabinet post.

Regarding Richardson, he's the second-tier minority candidate from the southwest. He's got loads of experience from various sectors as well as his ethnicity/heritage to swing some Hispanic voters from the Republicans. The only downside to a Clinton/Richardson ticket is running two minorities on the same ticket, which is why if Hilary wins, she will seriously consider Edwards but ultimately go for Richardson. The Hispanic vote in places like Florida and the Southwest seems easier to swing than does the evangelical vote in the south.

D said...

That last comment was me. Sorry Rani.